The Toronto community is still grieving after Monday afternoon’s deadly vehicular attack that killed 10 people and injured 15 others.
On Tuesday, authorities charged 25-year-old college student Alek Minassian, with 10 counts of first-degree murder and 13 counts of attempted murder, after being accused of driving a van onto a busy Toronto sidewalk and plowing into several pedestrians.
“I was shocked, because my husband and I and three of our Korean freinds walked in this area on Sunday night,” said resident Marilyn Mabute Wilson. “The next day I heard that it happens here, sabi ko it’s so sad and I’m still lucky that hindi nangyari sa Sunday.”
“I’m really worried kasi yung mga citizens or mga tao dito ay very calm & peaceful & all of a sudden ganito ang nangyari,” said Norelyn Calingan. “Sometimes worried ka, you don’t know what happened on the streets.”
While a motive has yet to be determined, reports say Minassian posted on Facebook prior to the attack referencing the quote “incel rebellion” — a shorthand for “involuntary celibacy.”
The Post also praised 22-year-old Elliot Rodger, who in 2014 killed six college students in California, in a revenge attack against women he believed snubbed him sexually.
While Ontario’s chief coroner said it will take days to officially identify the 10 victims of the attack, several employers and family members of the victims have confirmed their deaths — including a woman from Sri Lanka, and three foreign nationals– two from South Korea and one from Jordan.
While no casualties of Filipino descent have been identified so far, Pinoys are joining the city in mourning the deaths of their fellow Torontonians.
“I feel sorry for the families of the victims and I’m praying for the fast recovery for those that are injured,” said Calingan.
“My husband and I are sending our prayers and comforting hugs to all naapektuhan ng crisis na to,” said Wilson.
A multi-faith service vigil has been arranged for this coming Sunday. Minassian’s next hearing is scheduled for May 10th.