Three terror suspects charged, planned to bomb Metro Manila

By Chiara Zambrano, ABS-CBNNews.com

Oct. 13, 2014

Criminal charges have been filed against three men who were arrested in Quezon City this week.

The three have been linked to a terror group, and their arrest prompted the US Embassy to warn Americans about a potential bomb plot in Metro Manila, but Philippine officials say they’re on top of the situation.

“We wish to assure the public, including foreign nationals in the Philippines, that the Philippine government continues to undertake measures to ensure public safety,” said Charles Jose of Foreign
Affairs.

“The president was aware of this particular issue, kasi this happened Oct. 8,” said Abigail Valte, Deputy Presidential Spokesperson. “The president was already aware of it then and alam naman. The president is confident that our security forces know the next steps to be taken.”

Deputy Presidential Spokesperson Abigail Valte says public cooperation is key, and the Philippine National Police agree.

“We are asking people to report any suspicious activities that they see to their local law enforcement,” said Valte, “Just to aid in the efforts of our authorities.”

“We will remind the public to be calm but vigilant and alert,” said PNP spokesperson Wilben Mayor. “Ang kooperasyon ng bawat isa ay mahalaga rito.”

One of the suspects is said to be a member of the Rajah Solaiman Movement – a group that should be taken seriously, according to one expert.

“It has trained some suicide bombers to become ‘martyrs of the Islamic faith,’ making the group a serious security challenge,” said Boogie Mendoza Jr., President of the Philippine Institute for Peace, Violence and Terrorism. “The RSM has also penetrated some legitimate Balik Islam Organizations to radicalize some of their members.”

Police say they are not letting their guard down, though there’s really no specific terror threat in Metro Manila.

“But again, let us always not discontinue the possibility that this situation may be exploited by other persons,” said Wilben Mayor. “Yun ang ingatan natin, dahil meron na nga pong nag take advantage yung mga nag-bomb threat jokes sa mga eskwelahan.”

“There are no indications at this time that the foiled bomb plot is part of a greater scenario,” said Peter Paul Galvez, the DND spokesman.

The defense department also says there are no indications so far that the arrest of the three suspects is connected to any major terrorist plot. that the arrest of the three suspects is connected to any major terrorist plot.

2 Comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

*

*

  • kikay Pang0
    13 October 2014 at 5:14 pm - Reply

    Its a Hoax, don’t believe PI Defense Dept. they were hallucinating … the real threat to the Phil. govt. that has been often ignored for so many years are the thief politicians … they’ve been terrorizing the Phil. treasury since tiny Hitler Marcos took over.

  • Juan
    13 October 2014 at 5:21 pm - Reply

    Three suspected terrorist, Muslim na naman.The first leader of Manila was Raja Soliman,a High school was named after him. To remind you that during the 6-11th Century Manila is under Moslem control. It is where the Intra-Moro(Intramuros fort) named came from.It means that if ISIS caliphate succeed they will get back Manila all the PH Island. Mga Katoliko,at Kristiano tama na ang pagpapayaman diyan focus your preaching in Mindanao.

  • POPULAR POSTS