Preps for 2020 Census include addressing concerns over proposed immigration status question

In about a year from today, on April 1st, 2020 — the U.S. Census Bureau will be conducting a complete count of every single person living in the U.S., regardless of immigration status.

This decennial population count is mandated by Article 1, Section 2 of the U.S. Constitution and takes places every ten years.

One purpose of the census is to divide the House seats by population – it shapes how political representation is distributed, and how resources are allocated.

The statistics help determine how more than $675 billion of federal funding is spent in infrastructure and services, from highways to schools to hospitals.

The good news is that U.S. residents will be encouraged to fill out their 2020 Census online.

An estimated 80 percent of households will be able to send their responses over the internet. The remaining 20 percent will receive paper questionnaires via snail mail, targetting those with low internet access or the older adult population.

The invitation to respond online will be rolled out tentatively on March 12, 2020.

The not so good news, instead of hiring 600,000 temporary workers — just like in 2010.

The Census Bureau will be hiring less — about 400 to 450,000 temporary workers or census takers by Fall 2019.

Census workers make $17 to 21 dollars per hour.

Applying online is easy, visit 2020census.gov/jobs.

Meanwhile, as the census data determine the distribution of congressional seats to states – it can also be used to define legislature districts.

Some lawmakers — including Rep. TJ Cox — have used this data to gerrymander their districts for their party’s benefits.

While the 2020 census aims to count every US resident, including the undocumented, the Trump administration’s decision to add a citizenship question to the 2020 questionnaire could lead to a massive undercount — according to immigrant advocates.

At least 2 judges have called the census citizenship question illegal but whether that will end up or not in the final questionnaire will depend on

The U.S. Supreme Court who agreed last month to review the issue.

Census officials assure respondents though, that under title 13 of the US code — the Census Bureau is required to maintain the confidentiality of the information it collects, and it is illegal to use these data for non-statistical purposes such as immigration.

No Comment

Leave a Reply

*

*

POPULAR POSTS