Pinoy Boston Marathon runner hopes bombing suspect gets life in prison

By Don Tagala, ABS-CBN North America Bureau

April 15, 2014

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. – On April 15, exactly a year ago, two pressure cooker bombs exploded during the Boston Marathon.

The terror attack killed two people and injured 264 others near the finish line on Boylston Street.

Two Chechen brothers were later identified as suspects after the FBI released their photos.

Authorities ran into the brothers in Watertown, Mass.

In a gunfire exchange, the older suspect got killed, the younger one escaped.

But he was later captured after he was discovered hiding in a boat in a resident’s backyard during an unprecedented manhunt.

The 19-year-old suspected bomber is now awaiting Federal trial and a possible death sentence.

Next week on April 21, the 2014 Boston Marathon will be an emotional one for those who saw the devastation first hand.

But it’s also an opportunity for healing for thousands of runners, including Filipino Boston Marathon runner Rolan Ocampo of Woodside, NY.

On September 11, 2001 Ocampo was training on Queensboro in New York when he saw the World Trade Center collapse.

On April 15 last year, after crossing the finish line at the Boston Marathon, he again witnessed what tragedy looks like.

During a live interview on Balitang America via Skype, Ocampo said he hopes the bombing suspect, if found guilty, would receive a lifetime prison sentence, not the death penalty.

“He should serve his life locked up,” Ocampo said. “If he get’s a death sentence, it’s like giving him a shortcut to his finish line.”

One Comment

Leave a Reply

*

*

  • JRB
    15 April 2014 at 10:30 pm - Reply

    They shouldn’t give him lifetime in prison sentence, they should give him the death sentence.

  • POPULAR POSTS