Pinoy among first same-sex couples to get married in New Jersey

By Don Tagala, North America Bureau

Oct. 21, 2013

JERSEY CITY, NJ – Wedding bells rang for the first time for seven same-sex couples in Jersey City, just after midnight on Monday as New Jersey becomes the 14th state in the U.S. to legalize gay marriage.

Among the first to tie the knot was Filipino-American stand-up comedian and gay rights advocate Rich Kiamco and his partner of ten years David Gibson.

“This is both a personal moment and a political moment,” Gibson said. “I think those are the two images that go through my mind and I’m thinking about my love for Rich. I’m also thinking about we’re part of a large movement.”

“It also speaks of something bigger that’s happening because this is an arc of human rights,” Kiamco said, “We are standing up for so many other people behind us that want to be treated as equal beings in this society.”

On Sept. 27, a state judge ruled that New Jersey must allow same-sex couples to marry but Gov. Chris Christie appealed the ruling and filed a stay to freeze all gay marriages until the top court makes a final ruling in January.

The New Jersey Supreme Court denied the Governor’s request Friday, allowing New Jersey municipalities to start accepting applications for gay marriage licenses.

Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop officiated the historic weddings of seven gay couples at the City Hall chambers.

“Marriage equality is finally here in New Jersey and it’s here to stay, Fulop said. “Anything from here is just political rhetoric, than anything else.”

For the dozens of friends, family members, and advocates of same-sex marriage, they said that this is a giant step forward towards equality for all – regardless of sexual orientation.

“We are no different from any John walking on the face of this earth,” Jersey City resident Ronn Reganit said. “We are entitled to be happy, to be married to the ones we love and enjoy the benefits of the law that our constitution would provide to any citizen of this country.”

You may contact Don Tagala at don_tagala@abs-cb.com

• Kikay Pang0
    21 October 2013 at 7:15 pm - Reply

Which one of them will take forever to get ready ? …. Who else , the Filipino of course .

• JD
    21 October 2013 at 9:33 pm - Reply

Hey Kikay PangO, what do you mean? Do you mean ass bang ? Is that what you was saying ?

• JD
      25 October 2013 at 12:46 pm - Reply

@Arbi yes America you can say what ever you want to say ? Ok if the gays is not sick people, what make them to love each other same sex, can you answer the question ? In gods name they are sick,yes or no ? The answer is yes they are sick ! God made a women to be with a men, Not Men and Men kiss each other and have sex together ? So now can you give me a good answer is they sick or not ? This is only a comment so don’t get mad.

• Arbi
        25 October 2013 at 1:44 pm - Reply

@JD … Yes, you’re 100% right, god created man and a woman, but god never said “man you can ONLY love a woman or woman you can ONLY love a man. Man loving another man or woman loving another woman does not make them “sick”. In your response, you mentioned “In gods name they … “, is it the same ‘God’ that you worship also advocates ritual, living animal sacrifice. Deuteronomy 12:27:
        “And thou shalt offer thy burnt offerings, the flesh and the blood, upon the altar of the LORD thy God: and the blood of thy sacrifices shall be poured out upon the altar of the LORD thy God, and thou shalt eat the flesh.” … I am not mad, just wondering .. how does 2 loving individuals infringe upon your right to Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness? or you’re just a BIGOT …

• Tonya
    23 October 2013 at 12:03 pm - Reply

you are an abomination of the Philiipines proud to be a Christian country and majority Catholic. . . . this is against human nature law adopted by the church that marriage is between MAN and WOMAN ONLY.

• Arbi
      23 October 2013 at 3:19 pm - Reply

@Tonya …Can you please explain to me without quoting the Bible what’s your objection(s) to gay marriage are? You can’t quote the Bible because we don’t live in a theocracy. You can’t cite that they can’t procreate because we don’t require straight couples to have children. You can’t cite your disgust in sodomy because heterosexuals neighbor(s) take part in the same acts yet no one objects to those marriages. So, why is it you object to gay marriage?

• JD
        23 October 2013 at 8:17 pm - Reply

@Arbi objection to gay marriage is you can get sick,and gays are sick people because they can’t tell who is a women and a men. A lot of Americans don’t like gays, But we have to live with this sick people.

• Arbi
          23 October 2013 at 8:27 pm - Reply

@JD, what the hell are you talking about, please enlighten me.

• JD
            24 October 2013 at 8:29 am -

@Arbi if you can’t understand what I said, sorry if you can’t understand that gays is sick people, they don’t know they sex born. Are you gay ? In marriage you have a women and men, not men and men, can you understand what I just said ? If not I’m sorry. Yes a lot of as Americans don’t like gays, they sick people. Can you understand what I just said ?

• JD
            24 October 2013 at 8:50 am -

@Arbi can you understand english? When you use a word like enlighten me, what are you trying to say?

• Arbi
            24 October 2013 at 11:06 am -

@JD, yes! I do understand english and yes! I do know what sex I was born. What do do not understand is you calling gays “sick people”. Are you a doctor? … What’s the diagnosis for bigotry? …. Marriage is not just about “sex” …

• JD
            24 October 2013 at 9:32 pm -

@Arbi no I’m not a doctor, but can tell you what is a women and a men look like. Gays can do what they want, but you have to understand, that we Americans has a right to say what ever we want to say free of speech, do you understand what I’m saying. If you want I can draw you a picture showing you how women look and a men look. Oh one thing I want to tell you is, you see the words that say post comment, that’s all it is a comment OK ?

• Arbi
            24 October 2013 at 10:07 pm -

@JD … Indeed, here in America we have free speech but it does not give you the right to call somebody a “sick person” just because s/he is different from you. Nobody likes evil and hateful people … loose the hate and you may have a chance at love … just sayen, you must have a very lonely life …