PH to China: Reconsider move not to join arbitration

By Jorge Carino, ABS-CBN News

June 4, 2014

MANILA – The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) urged China Wednesday to reconsider its decision not to participate in the arbitration proceedings filed before a United Nations-backed arbitral tribunal.

DFA Spokesman Charles Jose said arbitration is “a peaceful, open resolution mechanism that offers a durable solution to the disputes in the South China Sea/West Philippine Sea.”

A United Nations-backed arbitral tribunal has ordered China to respond to a pleading filed by the Philippines in connection with the dispute over the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea).

The tribunal, based in The Hague, Netherlands, ordered China to submit not later than December 15 this year its counter-argument to a memorial filed by the Philippines.

The tribunal will determine the further course of the proceedings, including the need for, and scheduling of any other written submissions and hearings, at an appropriate later stage, after seeking the views of the Parties.

“I understand sumagot na din ang China dito, nagpadala ng note, na hindi sila magpa-participate. Next na action siguro ay magtatawag ng hearing ang Court, inviting both parties. Ngayon, kung hindi pa rin magpaparticipate ang China rito, maaring magdecide yung Court, based dun sa submission lang ng Philippines,” Jose said.

The DFA is still optimistic that the arbitral tribunal will get China’s position even if that may not come officially from the Chinese side.

On another matter, the DFA expressed concern over the continuing tension between China and Vietnam.

“Well, of course, right from the start, sinabi natin it’s a cause for concern. Kasi nga ito is causing tensions to rise in the… in the region and we have called on both sides to exercise restraint and we hope that the situation will not further escalate,” said Jose.

In a studio interview, Atty. Ted Laguatan told Balitang America that China’s unwillingness to participate in the tribunal sends a signal that the country is not playing by the rules of the game.

“This is bad for China in the long run,” Laguatan said. “Economically, politically, and so many other reasons why China will be damaged by this refusal to participate.”

2 Comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

*

*

  • Mar
    5 June 2014 at 4:43 am - Reply

    Every century there is only ONE world leader.US was the world leader for the 20th Century.
    Obama destroyed America by massive spending and borrowing from China. China overtaken US and is now #1 as the economic leader for the 21th century. No matter what will be the decision by the UN arbitration on the PH-China claim, China does’nt care. China next move is to built a forward military base, at the Mabini’s area near Kalayaan Island. Sand is being pumped and the reclaimed land is already 30 Acre.In my opinion, this will be the supply base for their nuclear submarines that regularly patrol the area. Airstrips will be built for their cargo plane and fighter jets. After the construction of the military base, oil rig from China will move-in and start exploring PH oil. How could we stop this… Remember, last month US did not helped Vietnam when the Chinese move in their Oil rigs on the disputed area.

  • kuya
    5 June 2014 at 8:51 am - Reply

    Commies Attitude.

  • POPULAR POSTS