Pacquiao will consider running for president

By Alex Millson, Agence France-Presse

July 29, 2013

MACAU – Philippine boxing great Manny Pacquiao is harboring thoughts of running for president in his beloved homeland when he finally hangs up his gloves, he revealed to AFP in an exclusive interview.

Giving his strongest hint yet that he will push to the top of the political tree when he finally retires from the ring, the “Pacman” — a hero and congressman in his home country — admitted he had considered
the presidency of the 95 million-strong nation.

When pressed on whether he had thought about shooting for the top job, the softly-spoken 34-year-old replied “Yes”.

Drawing parallels between his pugilism and politics careers, the former world champion in eight weight divisions said: “When I started boxing, of course I was planning, you know and thinking about getting to become a champion. So when I enter politics it’s the same thing.

“But, you know, it’s far away,” he said, adding: “It’s God’s will.”

Before that, however, Pacquiao whose record stands at 54 wins, five losses and two draws, must concentrate on his latest bout — a post breakfast-time tear-up with US fighter Brandon Rios, kicking off at the Venetian resort-hotel in Macau at 10:00 am on November 24.

The unconventional start time is for the benefit of the lucrative US pay-per-view audience, who will be settling down to watch the fight mid-evening on Saturday, as top US promoter Bob Arum attempts to elbow his way into the China market.

And viewers will not be oblivious to the fact that it is probably make or break time for Pacquiao’s boxing career.

Despite his last fight ending in a disastrous knockout, when Juan Manuel Marquez caught him with a huge right hand that saw the Filipino crumple to the canvas — his second successive defeat — Pacquiao refuses to entertain the notion that he will lose a third straight bout, or retire.

He said he was “100 percent” sure he would beat Rios (31-1-1), giving him one more chance to regain his credibility — and potentially another shot at a world title.

“He’s OK but I can say he’s a greasy fighter and he loves to fight inside, he loves to fight toe-to-toe,” he said in an interview on Saturday as he kicked off a promotional tour for the Rios battle.

“This is going to be a good fight — more action in the ring. Hopefully he won’t run away.”

Pacquiao insists he is as fit as ever, will focus on not leaving himself open to Marquez-style punishment, and has ignored calls from friends, family and media commentators, fearful for his health, to call it a day.

Once regarded as the world’s best pound-for-pound fighter, he dismisses the possibility of defeat at the hands of the much younger — and possibly hungrier — US opponent.

“There’s a little bit of pressure for this fight but I believe in myself that I can still fight and improve,” he said. “I still can knock somebody out in the ring.

“I never think negative. I only think positive,” Pacquiao added, conceding that his nearest and dearest were desperate for him to bow out of the fight game.

“Especially my mother,” he admitted. “My mother doesn’t want me to fight any more, she doesn’t like it,” he told AFP. “She wants me to focus on serving people.”

His trainer too, the legendary Freddie Roach, has categorically stated that if he loses to Rios it will be the last time he sets foot in the ring.

“If he loses, I will tell him to retire,” he was reported as telling ESPN.

Pacquiao’s preparation for the fight will begin in the Philippines next month, with “light training for conditioning” seeing him run in the morning and hit his gym in the afternoon, before he steps up the work rate to put himself through weeks of gruelling workouts.

Acknowledging he is no longer a young fighter — but confident he will be in as good a shape as ever — he said: “Of course, my mind is still there but I have to adjust a little bit of something in my body because
I’m 34 years old. It’s different than if you compare it to when I was 25 years old.

“I need to focus this training camp to maintain the speed, specifically the footwork.”

And the one question that has for years dogged Pacquiao — whether a dream clash with undefeated five-division world champion Floyd Mayweather will ever happen?

“I’ve stopped thinking about him because I don’t think he will fight me. I’ve been waiting four years already,” he said.

© 1994-2013 Agence France-Presse

• Jacques
    29 July 2013 at 6:56 pm - Reply

If pacquiao becomes the president, I will disown the philippines

• kikayPang0
    29 July 2013 at 8:46 pm - Reply

P200.00 / every dollar if he become president … many DH are cheering for him .

• delialusional
    30 July 2013 at 6:35 am - Reply

Oh no !!! Philippines, please do not walk backwards !!!!

• Delia
    30 July 2013 at 3:34 pm - Reply

If you like Obama , then you must also like Pacquiao other wise you people are prejudice . Both of them knows zero in governing . I wonder why many Filipinos are in the tank of Obama and wont indorse Pacquiao , after all , both will only bring down the country into ruin . Obama and Pacquiao are in the same side of the coins. lol. Obama has America down on her knees , let Pacquiao do the same for Philippines . or i will call you all prejudice and racisttttttttttttt . loooooooooool.

• what???
      30 July 2013 at 4:43 pm - Reply

Oh goodness Delia, what in the world are you thinking.. What made you think that Obama and MP are the same… Obama graduated from an Ivy League school while MP has no formal education. You are comparing apples and oranges here…. Please compare Obama to someone else but not MP… if someone from the White House is to read your comments…. I don’t know what to think of it anymore… Be careful when you make jokes about these people ok??

• Delia
        31 July 2013 at 12:35 pm - Reply

@what, I would love to respond to your post and comment but on second thought i wont , because i do not want to create fight and name calling . I know what i’m going to say will make a big arguement , so i will just observed to see how calm the water is. In case you want to discuss the issue on my statement with out prejudice let me know and i will be happy to obligue. I am not looking for a fight , i want a discussion and debate.

• what???
          31 July 2013 at 1:39 pm - Reply

Delia – there’s absolutely nothing to debate between the two. In comparison, you really cannot compare the two, I mean what are the facts the two has in common to begin with??? Obama is a well-educated individual, Manny does not have the education, he has money and fame but that is all what he has. If you want to compare the two about politics, absolutely nothing either, Obama is the President of The United States, a lawyer and an Ivy league graduate while Manny maybe a congressman of GenSan but he didn’t attain that title because he was smart, he was voted in due to his fame and money. There’s absolutely no prejudice if you want to discuss the difference between the two. I can’t see anything that would constitute prejudice in this matter. Obama does not have America on her knees, either way you look at it and please stop being so negative about America and its current economic status. this is still a great country with many opportunities. Manny would not put the Philippines on her knees because Filipinos will not let him sit in as the President. Filipinos knows better now, they are getting smarter on choosing who they want elected.

• Delia
            31 July 2013 at 4:35 pm -

@what, are you quite sure about nothing to debate between them ? First of all can you please present a proof that Obama went to any Ivy league Schools. I hope you have a document and proof that shows he graduated from Law schools, since no one can access any of his records.

In an exclusive investigative report, fact that he refuses to release any official documents certainly puts a cloud of suspicion over him . Will Obama clear up this strange situation up for us? I dont know , the more hard questions Americans ask, the more Obama clams up , an examination of his life reverals a series of endless questions… and no answers.

Obama who campaigned for a more ‘open government’ and ‘full disclosure’ will not unseal his medical records, his school records, his birth records or his passport records. He will not release his Harvard records, his Columbia College records, or his Occidental College records—he will not even release his Columbia College thesis. All his legislative records from the Illinois State Senate are missing, and he claims his scheduling records during those State Senate years are lost as well. In addition, no one can find his school records for the elite K-12 college prep school, Punahou School, he attended in Hawaii.

I certainly hope you can back up your claim that he did went to an Ivy League. Maybe you know something millions americans dont. Everywhere one looks into Obama’s background, we find sealed records, scrubbed websites, altered documents, deception and unanswered questions.

More recently, it was discovered that Obama’s Selective Service card have been doctored. Federal law requires all American males to register for the Selective Service (the draft) in case a major war broke out.

Of all these marvels, the latest mystery and probably most perplexing is that of Obama’s social security number. It appears that Obama has multiple identities in term of possessing numerous social security numbers.

In Obama’s home state, Illinois, a tracked down 16 different addresses for a Barack Obama or a Barack H. Obama, of which all are addresses he was known to have lived at. Two Social Security numbers appear for these addresses, one beginning with 042 and one starting 364.

In Massachusetts – where Obama attended Harvard Law School – we find three addresses, all using the 042 Social Security number. After Obama was elected to the United States Senate in 2005, he moved into an apartment at 300 Massachusetts Ave NW; the Social Security number attached to that address is the 042 one.

Yet, three years later, Obama used a different Social Security number for an address listed as: 713 Hart Senate Office Building. This was the address of his United States Senate office. This Social Security number began with 282 and was verified by the government in 2008.

This mystery grows even stranger as other addresses and Social Security numbers for Barack Obama appear in a dozen other states not known to be connected to him.

Who exactly is this man? And what’s he really up to? Exactly what are Barack Hussein Obama – hiding from the American people?

Call him the Man Behind the Mask . . . call him The Great Impostor . . . call him The Worst Thing That’s Ever Happened to the American Presidency… call him whatever you like… but one thing is certain. Barack Obama is a man who holds many secrets… secrets that, if uncovered, might be fatal to his presidency.

Now , about Pacquiao , he may not have an education as people may like him to have to be a president , but at least he is honest and had’nt hide anything about himself. Also , it is well known that he accomplished something which is winning 5 or 6 Boxing championship Title and accumulated his own wealth . Which is more than Obama accomplished, besides being a community Organizer .

Obama has been hiding too many secrets and mystery , even paying a batallion Lawyers $ 2 Millions to fight 48+ lawsuits challenging his natural born citizenship status. I dont know what he is hiding , for me its easier to show documemts than paying Lawyers.

• what???
            31 July 2013 at 4:56 pm -

@delia – I can’t believe that you actually wasted your time digging through some information with no such proof other than speculations. Do you really believe that Obama have won presidency through conspiracy theory??? I suggest that you stop digging through the internet about what Obama is hiding and why… I know for a fact that there are lots of articles about that issue and most if not, all of them are baseless and has no factual proof. I am sorry but your argument is so weak that anybody who would read your opinion would laugh and maybe feel angry due to disbelief on what you just said. I know where you got your excerpts of Obama’s records etc., they are all over the Internet. You basically copied that information from your search and made it as your own opinion. Come on Delia, it’s so very obvious naman… Sorry but 99% sane population of this country does not believe into hocus information about the president, they are smart enough to distinguish facts from fiction.

• what???
            31 July 2013 at 5:03 pm -
          • what???
            31 July 2013 at 5:30 pm -

…and to add a knockout punch to this, didn’t Bush II had his records sealed as well, how about those military records, did he really served? No one really knows, did he really give out millions of dollars to the Taliban to aid in hunting down Osama bin laden? No one really knows, did he really knew that 9/11 was coming and made no effort to avert the attacks? No one really s but we all knows what happened that day… Delia, your opinions are so basic that and overly used by journalists. I hope that on your opinions and arguments, that you actually knows what you are talking about and not just what you and see on the web. Ignorance is not an excuse so don’t be ashamed if you are to tell what you really think and feel. The more you use information that you do not understand, the more stupid and ignorant you will become. Just be plain honest and be intelligent on your thoughts.. Not a sermon or a lecture… Just a thought.

• Delia
            31 July 2013 at 5:44 pm -

@what, Actually not entirely in that site alone , i do research and have been following a dozen that makes sense , One site dont proved everything , so i keep digging untill i find something that satisfy my urge to proved the accusations.. By the way , theres many Lawyers site whos exposing this same issue about Obama. Infact when they file Law suit i followed and keep up .

However , I want to know the truth ,so most of the law suit starting from as early as Attorney Philip Berg , Orly Taitz , and on and on . that are trusworthy is worth a read. Western Journalisim is one of them yes , there are a lot more than that site alone , and all are actually educating. To answer your question if i believe what i read in that site , some i do , because mostly writers there knows Laws and are Lawyers and knowledgable .

There are hundreds sites that collaborates each other , and i believe not all of them can make mistake in reporting , specialy those Lawyers filling Law suit .

• what???
            31 July 2013 at 5:51 pm -

You’re missing the point Delia… The same exact accusations happens to just about any presidents in the modern day era.. So, this is nothing new.. They all could build a case against Obama and none of them will ever succeed just like what the presidents before him did. We all want answers to the current hardships of this country, but to remove a president due to speculations is no worse than a mistaken revolution.

• Delia
            31 July 2013 at 7:22 pm -

@what , what are you saying ? did i mention anything about removing ? As i stated before , millions of people want to know who the usarper is ? I dont see anything wrong of wanting to know the true Identity of Obama , besides like i said all his records are sealed and his paying tons of money to Lawyers to hide all his official documents.

What does he have to hide ? what is he afraid of ? Its simply a curiosity by millions . I even have to show ID to cash a check or go to hospital and or make bussiness transactions , so why is Obama exempted from showing any documents? Register your child in school or any sports events it requires ID or Birth Certificate .

To show a document a diploma is a pride and Joy , whats so bad in that ? It is truly disturbing why Obama cant show any ID specialy when hes in the highest office of the Land. I hire people for a job and ask for Identification card which is very common , but we million americans can not ask our President any Identifications ? He said he will be transparent , but i dont see that happening . I do not trust people hiding anything , specialy a person that suppose to represent me and my country.

• Deliadusional
            31 July 2013 at 7:44 pm -

It’s because they are the presidents Delia. They all could do whatever they want to do. Politicians all have on thing in common, liars and liars and king of lies… Learn how to accept politics…

• Delia
            31 July 2013 at 9:04 pm -

@Delisional , thats the reality and true statement i’ve ever heard in a while . Parasite Nation is growing unfortunately . Our society is full of moral illnesses , Leaders lie and then lies on top of lies its dizzying.

• Arbi
          31 July 2013 at 3:35 pm - Reply

@Delia … You’re in BIG SHIT! … Does NSA sounds familiar 🙂 …

• Arbi
      30 July 2013 at 9:55 pm - Reply

@Delia … GO FETCH!

• JAVO
    30 July 2013 at 3:36 pm - Reply

ITS NOT EVEN A BIG JOKE… ITS BIG MOUTH… NOW THAT HIS WIFE HAS BECOME VICE GOVERNOR, HE THINKS HE CAN MOVE TO BECOME PRESIDENT.

I WAIT FOR THE DAY THAT PACQUIAO GOES WITHOUT HIS MILLIONS AND BACK TO WHERE HE STARTED, AND GUESS WHO WILL THROW THE TOWEL… JINKYYY.. OR JUNKYYYY

IF HE BECOMES PRESIDENT, WE WILL NOW BE POPULAR WORLDWIDE AS THE “BOXERS”

• jorge buesa
    30 July 2013 at 7:46 pm - Reply

Hey people, Manny Pacquiao is haboring thoughts fo running for President in his beloved homeland,when he finally hangs up his gloves. So please be nice to eachother ? And he said it’s far away, “He saiid, Adding: “It’s God Will” So please what’s the big deal ? I think if true he runs, He would make one hell of a President for the Philippines ! He’s a Winner not a Loser !