Remains of Filipino oil worker found in the Gulf of Mexico

By Balitang America Staff

Oct. 30, 2013

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. – The body of a Filipino welder was recovered Tuesday morning. Since Sunday, the U.S. Coast Guard had been searching for 38-year old Peter Jorge E. Voces, after he was knocked off a platform by an empty storage tank.

The tank reportedly fell with him into the water, plunging him 100 feet deeper.

The Philippine Embassy in Washington D.C. and the Philippine Consulate in Chicago have been coordinating with authorities since Voces disappeared.

In a press statement, Chicago Consul Ramon Israel, Jr. said he was informed by the Coast Guard that their divers found Voces’ body pinned in the wreckage, just below the platform.

Israel noted that Voces’ remains have been brought ashore and turned over to his employer, Offshore Specialty Fabricator LLC, based in Houma, Louisiana.

For his part, Philippine Ambassador to the U.S. Jose Cuisia, Jr. said, “It is with deep sadness that we learn about the loss of our kababayan. Our thoughts and prayers are with his loved-ones in the Philippines.”
“We will do everything possible to bring Mr. Voces home at the soonest possible time,” Consul General Leo Herrera-Lim said, adding that the Philippine Consulate General in Chicago will facilitate the repatriation of his remains and will make necessary representations with his employer to secure his benefits.

Voces is from Gumaca, Quezon and is survived by his wife and three children.

In less than a year, four Filipino oil workers, including Voces, have died while working in offshore platforms in the Gulf of Mexico.

No Comment

Leave a Reply

*

*

POPULAR POSTS