Miriam conquers cancer, confirms presidential bid

By Kathlyn dela Cruz, ABS-CBNnews.com

MANILA – Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago on Tuesday confirmed that she will run for president in 2016, saying there is nothing left for her to do now that she has already conquered cancer.

“I will run because I’ve already gotten over my bout of cancer and there’s nothing left to do. I can apply for a job abroad like the one I lost because of my cancer, but I think since I have served the government from the very beginning, I will end my career here,” she told reporters.

During the book signing event for her book “Stupid is Forevermore,” Santiago shared that after being sick for over a year, her cancer tumors have “already died.”

It was on July 2, 2014 when announced that she had been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. She later said her cancer cells had regressed after taking medication, which she dubbed the “wonder” pills.

“We can conquer cancer. Nobody dies of cancer anymore as long as you have the money,” she said, triggering laughter from the audience. “It’s just that it’s very, very expensive.”

“Because I have great faith in our Lord, I was able to conquer cancer in only about 6 months,” she said.

“The one thing bad about cancer is it tends to eat its neighbor. So look to your left and to your right. Just be careful,” the senator laughingly told her supporters, some of whom were wearing red shirts with the text “#Miriam2016” printed on the back.

The senator went on to thank all those who prayed for her amid her battle with cancer.

‘PH WILL BE MUCH BETTER’

Santiago claimed that if and when she becomes president, the Philippines will become a better place.

“If I become president sometime in the very near future,” she said, drawing applause, “this country will be much better than it was before.”

“Today, this country suffers from the malaise of plunder. Plunder is when you look at one person and that other person looks at you and you feel like eating each other up. It’s like cancer.”

Speaking to reporters, she confirmed that she will file her certificate of candidacy (COC) for president this week. The last day of filing of COCs is on Friday, October 16.

“Well, judging by the response of the crowd today, I probably will do that because it seems to me that I will disappoint a lot of people,” she said. “Possibly Friday.”

Santiago, however, was mum on who will be her running mate, only hinting that “he” has already declared his candidacy for the vice presidency.

Six individuals have declared their intent to run for the country’s second top post next year, namely Senators Francis Escudero, Alan Peter Cayetano, Antonio Trillanes IV, Ferdinand Marcos Jr., Gregorio Honasan II, and Camarines Sur Rep. Leni Robredo.

Of the six, Cayetano, Trillanes and Marcos are the ones who have no running mate. But Trillanes has declared that he will support the presidential bid of Poe.

Santiago narrowly lost to Fidel Ramos in a presidential race in 1992 with 5 other candidates.

In 1998, she placed 8th in a 10-person contest which saw movie star and Vice President Joseph Estrada win the presidency by a wide margin.

 

2 Comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

*

*

  • Yellow Buster
    16 October 2015 at 8:59 pm - Reply

    Miss Miriam MABUHAY KA!!! You are very courageous in defending the Marcoses today! Well said and done!!!

  • POPULAR POSTS