Jinggoy: “The case against me is really very very weak”

By Steve Angeles, ABS-CBN North America Bureau

April 9, 2014

GLENDALE, Calif. – Embattled Philippine Senator Jinggoy Estrada is in Southern California and is ready to fight to clear his name.

As the alleged pork barrel scam has developed into plunder charges, Estrada, one of the lawmakers believed to have played a role in the multi-billion peso embezzlement scheme, has been in the US for the past few weeks.

The main purpose for the visit has been medical for both his wife Precy and himself.

“I accompanied my wife in San Francisco to undergo a medical check-up again because of the lump on her breast, but fortunately doctors gave her a clean bill of health,” Estrada told Balitang America in an exclusive interview. “And my case, before I came over I injured my left knee while playing basketball. I thought I was 30 years old, so I injured my knee. It was very fortunate for me that my orthopedic surgeon is here in San Francisco. So I got to talk to him and he x-rayed. The results were not that good.”

Earlier this week, the 51-year-old senator filed his motion for reconsideration at the Office of the Ombudsman. It was just days after the agency filed plunder and graft charges against him and several others including Senators Juan Ponce Enrile, Bong Revilla, and alleged pork barrel mastermind Janet Napoles.

In his motion, Estrada claimed that he was not given reasonable opportunity to contest the findings. He also questioned the credibility of several whistleblowers.

“I’m not fazed by these charges against me because, as I’ve read the resolution of the ombudsman, the case against me is really very very weak,” Estrada said. “I’ve been there before. I’ve been charged for plunder 10 years ago only to be acquitted of the file charged against me by the Sandiganbayan.”

“The only fault that I did, according to the resolution was to endorse repeatedly the NGOs,” he added. “Well, as far as I’m concerned these NGOs were accredited by the implementing agencies. So they cannot fault me for that.”

Estrada, who has been speculated as a potential vice presidential candidate in 2016, believes he and other lawmakers have become unfairly targeted and are already undergoing a trial by publicity.

Estrada assures that he will return to the Philippines after Holy Week, prepared to clear his name.

“I will face my detractors, I will face my accusers — definitely if the unfortunate event the ombudsman will transfer the case to the Sandiganbayan,” he said. “I will face all my accusers there.”

You can contact Steve Angeles at steve_angeles@abs-cbn.com for more information.

• libturd
    9 April 2014 at 6:47 pm - Reply

ang kapal talaga ng mukha nitong bwiset na to!!!

• Joe Peralta
      9 April 2014 at 7:16 pm - Reply

Balitang America should have not wasted their time interviewing J. Estrada. He is a menace to the society. Anyway, what else is new. Like father like son and once a crook is always a crook. Poverty in the Philippines is horrendous and they have the nerves to shower themselves with stolen funds allotted to the poor people. They deserved to be hang and or face the firing squad. .

• LIBERTAD
    9 April 2014 at 7:11 pm - Reply

sana magsabi sya ng bogus na diagnosis na galing sa sports medicine doctor niya. para masuri ng buong buo kung totoo nga’t kinakailangan niyang bumyahi pa rito.

kung di man makapal ang criminal nyang mukha after his plunder imprisonment, sana matauhan naman siya’t di na tatakbo pa. nanggugulo lang sya sa politika nh pilipinas, at naway matauhan naman mga kababayan natin na laging sumusupporta sa mga bulok na politiko ng ating lipunan.

Dirty family with dirty money always breed dirty politicking. typical cradle to grave phenomenon in philippine politics. SHAME ALL THE WAY TO THE VERY END OF ESTRADA ANCESTRY.

• gaPelina
    9 April 2014 at 7:28 pm - Reply

The legitimacy of the Phil Senate is in shamble for not honoring the hard work of another institution like, COA, OMBUDSMAN, and even their own colleague in the Blue Ribbon Committee. The probable cause by the Ombudsman is a thorough investigative work that the Senator should respect. Stop hiding outside the Philippines and face the consequences of wrongdoing. I myself want it to go back in the Philippines for good, but people like you is preventing that to happen, because Her resources that everyone should be enjoying is cheated and stole by people like you.

• sarcasick
    9 April 2014 at 9:56 pm - Reply

ang ex-convict na Jinggay kahit anupamang bihis (lawyering) nyan unggoy pa rin. BOW.

• Shamed
    9 April 2014 at 10:21 pm - Reply

a huge disrespectful misstep on the part of ABS-CBN Int’l. to egg/add insult to their North American viewer by legitimizing his arrogance/disrespect of the law of the land by which he claims to uphold.

litigated by the press? I doubt it; but for the benefit a doubt, Jinggoy just as guilty he is – is also using media to play his biased trickery.

this is pure case of aiding and abating, that ABS-CBN must now wash their hands with.

• Shamed
    9 April 2014 at 10:44 pm - Reply

What’s worse, is that ABS-CBN Intl. will not at all feature the very return of Jinggoy as he disembark out of NAIA to the full effect of knee brace, wheelchair and gawky paparazzi.

Conflictingly my gut instinct asks: Is this his version of a cheap and early VP election stunt?

Timely as the Romans resoundingly convicted Jesus, I say “CRUCIFY THE MALINGERER”.

• Andee Patino
    10 April 2014 at 10:56 am - Reply

What a shame and pitiful condition of poor people who should have been helped by the funds these politicians lavished on their families, cronies and girlfriends on the side. I hope this case will not be delayed until the next election because people are talking that ones the new candidates (the one in position now) who are friends with Estradas’ will take over, HE will make ways and means to cover this up and clear this case for them. This is Philippine politics of dynasty. There should be a private foundation to start to fund a “whistle blower barrel” to reward all those working around public offices to report all anomalies happening in their own offices. They should be protected and rewarded so that graft and corruption will stop. These movie stars are making it their ambition to get rich quick by running for political position and the poor people are their victims. When these politicians get caught or in a bind, they travel to U.S.A. or other countries for medical reasons. They get sick quick and needed a vacation.
    What a scam they play! PEOPLE WAKE UP, SMART UP AND DO SOMETHING!!!

• kuya
    10 April 2014 at 12:21 pm - Reply

“medical for his wife and himself”. gma, corona, ampatuan, estrada and napoles…. are all sick.. rubish style!!!!!

• lolofred
    10 April 2014 at 2:50 pm - Reply

Very,very weak..but you are getting weaker cuz you want a hospital arrest.A very old but effective tactic used by plunderers and robbers of the peoples money. So bad luck to you ex senator..putang ina ninyong lahat. The trial have gone public because you stole the public money, money that should have been used by MILLIONS OF UNFORTUNATE PILIPINOS who, resorted to criminal acts themselves like bag snatchings,robbing banks and jewelry stores, snatching cell phones and other petty crimes that will put them behind bars for a while…WHILE YOU AND YOUR COHORTS STOLE AND PLUNDER THE MONEY OF THE ENTIRE NATION, HAS THE ABILITY TO GO ABROAD FOR A LUMP ON THE BREAST CHECKUP, WHICH BY THE WAY CAN BE DONE SUPERBLY BY FILIPINO DOCTORS LOCALLY.. INSTEAD YOU CAME HERE IN AMERICA TO PRACTICALLY LIQUIDATE YOUR ASSETS AND BANK ACCOUNTS OR TRANSFRERRED TO YOUR CRONIES HERE IN THE STATES..WE CAME TO SUSPECT OF SUCH MOVES..YOU FOOLED EVERYONE FOR A LONG TIME AND YOU TRY TO KEEP ON FOOLING THEM UP TO NOW. REPENT IF YOU COULD AND THEN SERVE THE FULL RAMIFICATIONS OF THE JUSTICE SYSTEM WHATEVER IS LEFT.

• cat_idiot
    10 April 2014 at 2:53 pm - Reply

di pa nabalik c Delia? malungkot ang comment section pag wala sya

• dog_idiot
      10 April 2014 at 3:11 pm - Reply

Nagpilgrimage yata sa Jerusalem. Siguro nasunog ang kanyang kaluluwa….

• cat_idiot
        11 April 2014 at 5:21 pm - Reply

bakit meron ba? hehehehe….magaglit na naman yun pagbalik

• dog_idiot
          11 April 2014 at 7:50 pm - Reply

sinabi mo…. hehe.. palagi naman syang galit…

• lolofred
    10 April 2014 at 2:59 pm - Reply

Why DID you and WIFE NOT ON MALAYSIA FLIGHT 370? COULD HAVE SAVE THE NATION A LOT OF EXISTING LEFTOVERS(MONEY). WHY? MALAS PA RIN ANG PILIPINAS!!!!

• beee
    10 April 2014 at 3:10 pm - Reply

sawang-sawa na ako sa philippinegovernment.kita kita na ang mga ebedinsya but sa huli aabswrerto pa din. walang ngipin ang bstas sa kanila. so pauli-ulit nilang gawin ang corruption. So mga taong bayan boto taong bayan reklamo. Bulok style ng prinsipyo. Ang nangyayari walang asenso walang pagbabago ang bansa ang mahirap lalong naghihirap at ang mga corrup lalong yumayaman kasi sarili lang ang tinintingnan. mga greedy sa power, position at pera. Alam naman natin na ang mga taong ito wala silang inner joy. ang karma nila ay gulong buhay at familya , maraming illnesses sa sarli or member ng familya.

• JRB
    10 April 2014 at 8:38 pm - Reply

Hey Jinggot get real, your done in office and you know that, Your lucky it happen in the philippines not in America you would have got 50 years to life for what you did to the poor filipinos ? You got no class and your family should be shame to show there face in public ? You was born with money from your father so why you had to take money from the poor filipinos ? Your are a sick person like the others all sick !

• wildorchid
    12 April 2014 at 9:02 am - Reply

I have read all comments above. What I can say is why not display all this stinking, rubbish extremely corrupt Philippine politician in a public arena and let poor Filipinos stone each of to death. And start a new Philippine government. I know I make it sound so easy. Corruption is rampant among in the Philippines. I wonder will we Filipinos ever rise to betterment? I don’t see it coming soon, it is sad