Jeane Napoles drops sale of Ritz Carlton unit

Steve Angeles, ABS-CBN North America Bureau

Oct. 18, 2013

LOS ANGELES – A controversial piece of American real estate linked to the daughter of alleged pork scam mastermind Janet Lim Napoles is no longer for sale.

Newly acquired MLS documents showed that Jeane Napoles’ Ritz Carlton unit was withdrawn on September 23rd shortly after the listing appeared on several websites.

An ABS-CBN report earlier said the 2-bedroom,
2-bathroom unit, which covers over 1,500 square feet, was being sold for $1.475 million.

US-based anti-pork barrel activists believe public pressure, as well as the freeze on the older Napoles’ assets, ultimately led to the withdrawal.

“Legal notice has been served to them and there’s also a caveat or warning to prospective buyers that these properties are basically acquired through illegal methods. That is why if they buy it, they will be in the quandary,” Arturo Garcia of the US Action Against Pork Barrel (USAAP) said.

Janet, who has been implicated in the P10-billion pork barrel and Malampaya fund scandals, earlier confirmed that she bought the Ritz Carlton unit in Los Angeles for her daughter as a reward for doing well in school.

Other U.S. properties owned by the Napoles family include the Anaheim Express Inn valued at about $7 million, a $1.4 million home in the affluent Canyon View gated community in Irvine and a commercial property in the Los Angeles County City of Covina.

USAAP members have attempted to block the sale of the Napoles family’s US assets as they explore the possibility of filing civil money laundering charges against Janet.

Jeane, her daughter, was accused of tax evasion recently.

Garcia believes with the Ritz Carlton home no longer on the market, it can eventually make recovery of the alleged ill-gotten wealth easier.

“Although the process has been slow, the Philippine government has learned valuable lessons from the Marcos properties. That’s why there will be a lot of money that can be recovered for the good of the people,” he said.

Sources said Jeane had vacated the home, taking her belongings, around late August. Her whereabouts remain unknown.

Sources said a Filipino couple appears to be staying at the unit which remains under Jeane’s name.

In the meantime, arrangements are being made to get Janet, who is currently in custody on illegal detention charges, to testify on the pork scam.

USAAP hopes other members of the Napoles clan can also shed light on the alleged scheme that involved transferring lawmakers’ pork funds into bogus organizations.

Documents show that there has been no movement or attempts to sell the three other Napoles properties in the U.S., which include an Anaheim hotel, an Irvine residence, and a commercial property in Covina.

You may contact Steve Angeles at steve_angeles@abs-cbn.com for more information.

2 Comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

*

*

  • Jorge Buesa
    19 October 2013 at 8:46 pm - Reply

    I guess she need the money ?

  • Roy
    21 October 2013 at 3:25 am - Reply

    When Jeane Napoles, daughter(Buyer) bought the property,the Purchase Contract went into Escrow. The Escrow Co. will make it sure, that all US laws on REstate sales, will be followed. From there, money laundering should had been detected. If there is a money laundering case ,now coming from US gov’t,on the part of daughter regarding this transaction, She can sue the Escrow, title company.,she will win & make a lot of money. Did the $Billion drug money from Mexican drug lord deposited from US bank returned to Mexico, never..PH gov’t will just spend money onl US lawyers and will never get anything on this property.

  • POPULAR POSTS