Injuries could force Michael Christian Martinez' withdrawal from World Championships

By Steve Angeles, ABS-CBN North America Bureau

March 5, 2014

LAKE FOREST, Calif – After a hectic month, which began at the Winter Games in Sochi, Russia and led to endless parades of heroes welcomes, public appearances, and even trips to the Philippine Senate, Michael Martinez is back feeling at home, on the ice.

“I just feel excited to step on the ice already. I feel so excited to jump already,” he said during his Wednesday morning session.

However, with little rest since the Olympics and a lack of practice, the history making Olympian is considering withdrawing from next week’s Junior World Championships Bulgaria, where he finished in 5th place last year.

“It’s too short,” he explained. “Everybody’s been doing it for months, everybody’s been practicing for months. For me, I’ve just been doing it 10 days.”

On this day at the Lake Forest Ice Palace, the Philippines Ice Prince tried to regain his Olympic form with coach former US Olympian Scott Wedland.

“He is battling some injuries and not really having enough time to train at this point,” Wedland said. “We’re going to see how he’s doing, prepare for Junior Worlds right now, and we have to make that decision right now and see where he’s at if he’s competitive or not.”

Wedland described Martinez’ condition as “50/50”.

The 17-year-old was originally scheduled to fly out to Bulgaria this weekend. He will make a decision by the end of this week.

However, if he does pass on the Juniors, he will get to begin the offseason earlier and be at full strength when the skating season starts in the summer.

You can contact Steve Angeles at steve_angeles@abs-cbn.com for more information.

No Comment

Leave a Reply

*

*

POPULAR POSTS