Hundreds march for Pinoy killed in on-coming traffic

Balitang America Staff, ABS-CBN North America Bureau

July 14, 2014

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. – About a hundred people marched in San Bruno, California last Friday to remember the life of a Filipino man that was fatally struck by on-coming traffic one week ago.

57-year-old Bernabe Lactawen would walk up and down El Camino Real and politely wave at everyone he came across.

Bernabe, who suffered from mental disability, was well-loved by the community. He actively supported local sports teams and even earned the nickname “Champ” or “Batman”.

With the support of the San Bruno Fire Station and Police, over a hundred people gathered at the intersection where he was struck.

Bernabe died at the hospital.

Police say that he was crossing on a red light when he was hit.

So far, no arrests have been made, and according to police, drugs and alcohol were not factors in the crash. The crash is still under investigation.

“Bernabe gave us joy and a smile in the day program,” said Steven Victoriano, one of Bernabe’s friends. “He always greets us. He always said ‘hi’ and ‘hello’ to everyone,”

“Just the amount of love and support we’ve been getting from the community, there’s no room in our hearts for pain right now,” said Karissa Ishere, Bernabe’s niece.

No Comment

Leave a Reply

*

*

POPULAR POSTS