Filipinos evacuated during 5-alarm fire in San Francisco

By Balitang America Staff, ABS-CBN North America Bureau

Sept. 5, 2014

SAN FRANCISCO – A massive fire in San Francisco’s Mission district on Thursday sent three people, including a firefighter, to the hospital for toxic smoke inhalation.

Kababayans in the neighborhood were among those who were evacuated.

The 5-alarm fire was reported early Thursday afternoon at a retail store called Big House, Inc.

Fire officials say that the three-story building contained a large inventory of plastic products. The roof of the building collapsed as a result of the fire.

Police shut down power to the block and advised people to keep away due to thick clouds of toxic smoke from burning plastic.

The Mission district is a home for many Filipinos, as well as a Filipino restaurant called Kababayan.

They too were among the residents that were evacuated from neighboring homes as a result of the fire.

“We got suffocated because the wind is blowing towards our apartment,” said Ruel Pasion, who was evacuated from his residence nearby. You cannot see any visible people. Even the firemen you cannot see them, zero visibility. It’s all white. Even for five feet, you cannot see the person.”

No Comment

Leave a Reply

*

*

POPULAR POSTS