Fil-Ams call on PH govt to aid in Nigerian kidnapping rescue efforts

By Steve Angeles, ABS-CBN North America Bureau

May 7, 2014

CARSON, Calif. – While Carson California is one of the largest Filipino hubs, it’s also home to a large Nigerian-American community. Dressed in red, Filipinos and city officials stood in unity with the Nigerian community in calling for the safe rescue of the kidnapped Nigerian girls.

“We have a big Nigerian community. I’m a Filipina-American, I am a mother and a teacher. I know how it feels for children who are in school and taken out. And being threatened to be sold to sexual traffickers—that is really horrendous and horrible. So it’s not just an issue of one country but an issue of human rights violations,” Fe Koons, a local Filipino community leader, said.

Close to 300 Nigerian girls were kidnapped from their school earlier this month.

Their abductors, who claim to be part of Al Qaeda, have threatened to sell the young girls.

For Filipinos activists, the threats of selling girls as wives and slaves hit close to home.

Human rights groups have identified the Philippines as one of the world’s biggest human trafficking offenders.

“Af3irm has been fighting against trafficking for almost 25 years now. This isn’t a new issue this is something that has been occurring and occurring, not just in Nigeria,” Primrose Villegas of The Association of Filipinas, Feminists Fighting Imperialism, Re-feudalization, and Marginalization said.

The US government had announced on Tuesday that it will join the rescue efforts.

Carson’s Filipino vice mayor Lito Santarina told the community that through the local Philippine consulate, he will call on the Philippine government to aid in the global rescue efforts.

“We are going to make sure that the Republic of the Philippines will be involved in and working with the team that is going to continue this search,” he said.

You can contact Steve Angeles at steve_angeles@abs-cbn.com for more information.

One Comment

Leave a Reply

*

*

  • Max
    8 May 2014 at 2:23 am - Reply

    The abductors were Moslem terrorist, which the leftist media and Balitang America staffer does not want to mention as Moslem, the 300 girls are mostly Christian being sold for $12 each. To hunt down the Moslem kidnappers in Nigeria is not our business, our priority is to hunt down the killers on the 4 American that was killed in Benghazi, Libya. Remember Ambassador Steven and 3 Navy Seal, the WH ordered to “stand down” 2x for their rescue. and let them died inside the Embassy.

  • POPULAR POSTS