Expert refund tips during tax season

by Paul Garilao, ABS-CBN News

PENSACOLA, FL — At the start of tax season, the Internal Revenue Service reminded individuals to be patient while waiting for their tax refunds.

According to IRS data, there is a percentage drop of 24.3 percent in the number of tax filers for this year. The amount of tax refund also decreased to 30.6 percent in the first week of filing.

This is due to a backlog that piled up during the government shutdown.

While taxpayers are waiting for their refunds, Filipino tax expert Cereze “Ched” Geige in Florida advised residents to be smart in using their tax refund.

Although some are not satisfied with what will they’ll receive this tax season, families with dependents are more than happy to receive their child tax credit, thanks to the tax cuts and jobs act.

Under the new law, the child tax credit increased from $1,000 to $2,000 per child under the age of 17.

Meanwhile, several Fil-Ams BA spoke with said they’d use their tax claims to support their relatives and help charities.

The IRS also set up free volunteer tax assistance at more than 12,000 sites nationwide. This free service is for tax filers who make less than $55,000 a year or who have disabilities.

 

One Comment

Leave a Reply

*

*

  • Mario
    20 February 2019 at 5:32 am - Reply

    The Trump tax cut and jobs act was designed to capture 80% of the low income taxpayers to vote for Trump. This group will used postage size ITR standard deduction. The remaining 20% will pay more and they depend on how good is their tax preparer. If you are NOT happy with your tax return do not vote for Trump, simple as that.

  • POPULAR POSTS