Countdown to same-sex marriage: NJ couples eagerly wait for Oct 21

By Don Tagala, ABS-CBN North America Bureau

October 14, 2013

Jersey City, NJ – Filipino-American stand up comic Rich Kiamco and his partner David Gibson have been together for 10 years and are finally going to be recognized as a married couple — when they tie the knot on October 21 in New Jersey.

They have proclaimed their vows to each other in the past — but in ceremonies that did not recognize same-sex union.

Kiamco said, “We had a big wedding in New Jersey after we had our legal one, we took a ferry in New York City and then we came back, a big ceremony at Jersey City at the Loew’s Theater with all of our Friends and Family but that was really a fake.”

“It was kind of a Facsimile of a wedding because in reality gay marriage isn’t legal in New Jersey because our Governor in New Jersey has vetoed the courageous move on the Part of the Legislature,” said Gibson.

Last year, Republican Governor Chris Christie vetoed a bill that would have allowed same-sex marriage in the state of New Jersey.

But a judge ruled in September that same-sex couples can marry legally in New Jersey beginning October 21.

As wedding bells start ringing for gay and lesbian couples in New Jersey – some religious kababayans here say they are appalled.

“Ay hindi puwede kasi wala yan sa Bible na mag-asawa ka ng lalaki sa lalaki, ang babae magasawa ng babae, hinde! It’s against the Law of God, I’m a Baptiste and I live in this country for 46 years, I can not tolerate people for having marriage same sex,” Eleanor Escobar who is against same-sex marriage said, “By that time, I’m not here anymore, I’m in the Philippines, aalis na ako.”

Even with opposition from his own community — Ronald Capila says he cannot wait to get married to his partner of six years and avail of about 1,300 rights and benefits that were only previously afforded to straight married couples.

Capila said, “I’m a working class citizen and I pay taxes I feel like I should be able to get married if I want to, and get the same benefits if and when I need it.”

For equal marriage rights advocates here – the fight to completely legalize same-sex marriage in New Jersey is not quite over…

The State Supreme Court has agreed to hear an appeal from Gov. Christie’s administration.
But for now, there’s no stopping Kiamco and Gibson’s “real wedding.”

They are expected to be the first gay couple to declare their legal vows at the chambers of Jersey City Hall at the stroke of midnight on October 21 – with no less than Mayor Steve Fulop officiating the wedding himself.

Gibson said, “it’s a statement – an assertion of the civil rights that we gays and lesbians have.”
“This is what I can do on my part of the playing field for the whole movement to create equality for everyone,” said Kiamco.

You may contact Don Tagala at don_tagala@abs-cbn.com

15 October 2013 at 8:36 am - Reply

I don’t see why make a Big deal about same sex married each other ? If they want HIV ? It’s Ok with me the less people in America ? I went to class on HIV and that’s the easy way to die ! ! I wish that some understand the disease same sex marred can cause ? But to all of you same sex married Good Luck !

• JimC
      15 October 2013 at 9:33 am - Reply

Jorge,

That is a very ignorant statement you made. HIV is just not a Gay disease… do some research. Anyway thanks, my partner and I of 29 years cannot wait to finally get marriage.

15 October 2013 at 2:28 pm - Reply

@Jorge Buesa … do us all a fovor, open up a book and read!

15 October 2013 at 2:28 pm - Reply

“favor” not “fovor” … my bad

15 October 2013 at 7:22 pm - Reply

Arbi are you gay ? If you are what you are the man or the girl ? I had friends that was gays in california, and Manilia ! They didn’t get mad if you made fun of them ? They was nice people !

15 October 2013 at 9:26 pm - Reply

@Jorge Buesa … mag tagalog ka nalang … mali-mali ang ingles mo 🙂 … You’re an embarrassment to nature 🙂

15 October 2013 at 11:15 pm -

Hey Arbi, you took the BAIT ! I wanted to see how old you are ? And guess what your six years old ! That’s what my friend told me, you sound like your six years old ? That’s why all the funny writing ! ! GOT YOU ! !

16 October 2013 at 9:34 am -

@Jorge Buesa, kaya pala mali-mali ang ingles mo, stop asking your “friend” or your “apo”, para mag translate for you, he’s only 5 yrs old. Makakahiya ka at mag tagalog kana lang. Go and clutch your pearls, old dingleberry!

16 October 2013 at 7:21 pm - Reply

Hey Arbi what’s this you can’t spell? What”s the word fovor ? And you making fun of me ? Look at you, better go back to school to learn to spell words ! Oh maybe you take Yuk,and Va with you ? All of you is Clowns can talk about other people but look at you the way you spell words ?

15 October 2013 at 2:33 pm - Reply

@Eleanor Escobar, good riddance …

16 October 2013 at 7:13 pm - Reply

Hey Arbi, what you trying to say, when you said good riddance ? What do you mean by saying riddance ? I think you better learn more how to spell words ?

16 October 2013 at 10:19 pm - Reply

Hey dingleberry, look it up … heard of “dictionary”.

17 October 2013 at 8:57 am - Reply

Hey Arbi it’s not in my spanish dictionary ? Your a little clown how old you ? 4 year old ! ! If you was in America the Americans would laugh at you. Because you act smart but your not, best you stay in philippines go help Aquino with the pork barrel scam, maybe Aquino can give you money to go back to school ! !

17 October 2013 at 5:41 pm -

@Jorge Buesa, lay-off eating tokwa’t baboy and go open up a book! IDIOT!

15 October 2013 at 5:46 pm - Reply

Arbi please stay with the main story ? This is America every state is not same like other states ? If you was born in America or your born from a poor country name Philippines ? If you want me to read a book it’s up to me if I want too ! If I was you shut your big mouth poor boy from philippines luck you come America ! You think your all smart from philippines why all of you clean toilets for a living ? And eat grass for food ?

15 October 2013 at 9:33 pm - Reply

@Jorge Buesa, you’re a dingleberries and an idiot! Go fetch!

15 October 2013 at 9:39 pm - Reply

@Jorge Buesa, heard of “higher education”? You’re an embarrassment old man!

15 October 2013 at 10:49 pm - Reply

Arbi you should go back where you came from under a Rock ? Your a poor person I can tell when you say things ? What you do for a living come clean my toilets poor boy ! Oh you want to tell people what to do ? Good for you welcome to my country your a fool ! We Americans love guys like you from a poor country ! Like to talk big, but don’t know nothing only mouth.

16 October 2013 at 8:20 am - Reply

Jorge Buesa, it just goes to show how sick, uneducated and twisted you really are. You’re still a FOOL and an embarrassment to nature. Go back to school, read, learn and be useful, old dingleberry!

• va
    16 October 2013 at 8:30 am - Reply

@Jorge – magaral ka kasi muna magbasa at magsulat… Ganyan pala ang tarzan na na nakarating sa amerika ! Barok sa america !

16 October 2013 at 6:07 pm - Reply

Va your the other one, I think you don’t understand English, why you have to say thinks in filipino words ? Look if you don’t understand good American English and can’t write in American words ? You have to go back to school and learn or else your going to clean toilets in America !

• va
        17 October 2013 at 6:58 am - Reply

Aba sumasagot pa rin ng engles etong si Jorge.. mali pa rin naman ang English… Hay buhay…

18 October 2013 at 9:38 am - Reply

@Jorge Buesa, a proud recipient of “No Child Left Behind Program”.

• Yuk!
    16 October 2013 at 11:12 am - Reply

Yuk! Isang amoy lupa na at isang AID carrier! Bwahahaha
    Damn Jorge Buesa, go back to school! Imagine an 81 years old born in America but BAROK English!

16 October 2013 at 6:00 pm - Reply

Hey Yuk, you tell me about my English, but why you write in filipino words and Americans words ? What’s the deal with that ? Tell me what’s going on, looks like you don’t understand English ? Hey look if you come on my side the Americans side in the computer, we will eat you alive ! Do you understand what I said or American English you don’t understand ?

• VA
      17 October 2013 at 11:26 am - Reply

Born in America??? Really seriously Jorge?? How so? If you can’t even spell Manila…. Manila mo naging Manilia,, ano yan makinilya???

16 October 2013 at 6:21 pm - Reply

Arbi I still think your 6 years old ? Hey look you win ? But if you come on the other side the American side of the computer, we will eat you up, because us whites don’t give a shit how we talk ! Your the other one I think don’t understand good English ? Because you write half filipino and american words? That’s ok it isn’t how you write in America because, we Americans don’t act like we smart ? That’s why we don’t clean toilets, we make money the american way not because we think we smart ! In America they is all kind of people and some of them can’t write they name but we Americans don’t make fun of them because we all try to live together in America !

16 October 2013 at 10:34 pm - Reply

@Jorge Buesa, mag tagalog ka nalang para maintindiham mo ang iyong isinusulat. Still an embarrassment to nature. Your family must be really proud of you 🙂

17 October 2013 at 8:41 am - Reply

Arbi English please, in America we talk English? If you don’t speak English good you can’t find a good job? Oh Arbi you have to spell good and don’t act like your smart but your not ? When you have a filipino accent it’s very difficult to find good job in America, you going to clean toilets !

17 October 2013 at 5:37 pm - Reply

Jorge, you’re still an old fart!

• wilhelmino pablo
      17 October 2013 at 9:46 pm - Reply

you ain’t no white pareng jorge…you’re not even born here… look at your your grammar…even the best english teacher won’t undestand what you want to express…c’mon man, accept it, english is your second language…sorry, but that’s just the way i see and feel it…mag-tagalog na lang tayo…