Controversy after Filipina models allegedly told not to walk the runway at LA Fashion Week
LOS ANGELES — A controversy in LA after several Filipina models were allegedly told that no Filipinos were allowed at an LA Fashion Week show that they were set to walk in.
Former Miss Earth Jamie Herrell and Kiana, together with 5 Filipino models, some of who had previously walked on the ramp for Fashion Week, were not being allowed to walk off the ramp for LA Fashion Week.
“No Filipinos allowed to walk on the ramp!”
This includes kapamilya talent Kiana V, whose mother Angeli Pangilinan Valenciano shared the news on Instagram today — saying that her daughter and 6 other Filipina models, including Miss Earth 2014 Jamie Herrell, were allegedly told “no Filipinas will walk” at the opening night of LA Fashion Week on Monday.
The show was to feature works from Filipino designers Rocky Gathercole and Resty Lagare.
However, Erik Rosete, president of LA Fashion Week, told BA in a statement today that no discrimination took place, and cited contractual disputes with one of the event organizers Jacob Meir as the reason why he decided to cut the show altogether.
“I cut the show and it had nothing to do with race. It had to do with (Meir’s) disrespect for our organization, and the fact that he has stolen close to $100,000 from us and was trying to collect more money on the side.”
Here is the full statement from Rosete, head of LA Fashion Week, regarding the controversy.