Aquino: Failure to prep for Typhoon Ruby is unforgivable

By Michelle Ong

MANILA – President Aquino gave a stern warning to all government agencies preparing for Typhoon Ruby.

“I will not be very patient with excuses after this event,” said the Philippine president. “Failure on the priorities is kind of unforgivable unless there is force majeure.”

The president wants all the necessary preparations in place before “Ruby” hits land on Saturday.

“I’m pressing everybody, ‘yung checklist of what has to be done yesterday but we still have today and tomorrow to finish all these things,” continued President Aquino, “and after you’ve done all of that, go back to your list and see if there’s anything else to be done. I’d like everybody to become a busy body.”

Aquino says he is even considering the possibility of declaring a State of National Calamity as early as today, so government can respond better to “Ruby.”

“’Ruby’” presents the challenge but I think we’ve been challenged worse by ‘Yolanda,’” said Aquino.

Typhoon Ruby has already been classified by the US Navy’s joint typhoon warning center as a super typhoon, while Japan’s meteorological agency has categorized “Ruby” as a violent typhoon – the highest in its classification of cyclones.

PAGASA says “Ruby” is already stronger than Typhoon Pablo, which hit the Philippines December 2012.

There are no indications so far that “Ruby” would be as powerful as “Yolanda,” but disaster management officials are warning of possible flashfloods, landslides, and storm surges.

“The storm surges are mainly concentrated … in the northern Leyte area,” said Mahar Lagmay, of Project Noah, “and also in Eastern Samar all the way to Basey, Sta. Rita, and Tacloban. The highest storm surges that we are expecting are three to four meters in elevation. … Ang ibig sabihin ng apat na metro ay isang palapag ng bahay. … “’Yolanda’ was stronger and had higher storm surge levels … than Typhoon Ruby.”

PAGASA already identified the areas that will possibly the affected by “Ruby.” Areas under red alert are expected to be hardest hit.

There’s a slight chance that Ruby would re-curve and not hit land at all, but the president wants government to prepare for a worst-case scenario.

One Comment

Leave a Reply

*

*

  • 500,000 evacuated in Tacloban ahead of typhoon “Ruby” | The Philippine Online Chronicles
    6 December 2014 at 12:27 am - Reply

    […] President Benigno S. Aquino III earlier said that he would not be patient with excuses after the typhoon. […]

  • POPULAR POSTS