LOS ANGELES — As LA becomes a hotbed for COVID-19 infections, local and health officials reiterated that they are considering all options to contain the outbreak — even if it means shutting down Los Angeles County once again.
“If things get worse that dial could move to red in the coming week or two. That would place us at the highest risk of infection and we would likely return to mandated safer at home order. But if things get better well dial that indicator back to yellow,” said Mayor Garcetti.
“We shouldn’t really take any tools off the table. What I would like to say is I hope we don’t have to go back to safer at home. I hope we do our job well as people working in public health but also we do our job well. All of us do our job well and we get back to know what we can do which is slow that curve,” said LA public health director Barbara Ferrer.
After a phased reopening last month, Los Angeles County has seen the number of COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations increase.
Public health officials have reported more than 1,700 new cases and 50 more deaths on July 9 — bringing countywide totals to more than 124,700 infections and more than 3,600 fatalities.
More than 2,000 people were also hospitalized due to COVID-19 — with 26 percent admitted to intensive care units. This is significantly higher than the average 1,350 daily hospitalizations reported a month ago.
For community leaders like John Eric Concordia, he’s been calling on the Filipino community to continue wearing masks and following strict protocols.
“We should hope for the best but plan for the worst. What it comes down to, is assume we all have it. Assume your friend has it.”
John eric is also a restaurant owner — who had to scale back operations amid the pandemic.
And yet, he and his wife still managed to feed frontline workers.
“To be able to run the feed the frontliners in the meantime where we’re still providing opportunities for employment, for our team to engage and participate in community work to actually go out there and bring food to frontliners. It’s a matter of still trying to maintain a presence and be there and at thunderbolt were blessed to have opportunities to take care of hospitality workers who are out of work by providing meals for them,” said Christine Araquel Concordia, a restaurant owner.
While businesses are bracing for another shutdown, Los Angeles officials said they are continuing to increase testing, as well as contact tracing, hoping to find other ways to combat the virus while keeping the economy open.